Thursday, February 24, 2005

VoIP is ready for prime time

Overview of how VoIP is making an impact on how we communicate, and the plummeting costs. Notice how much the author is saving a month on his mobile phone bill! I'll be reviewing the popular Skype service in my next post.

VoIP is ready for prime time | Tech News on ZDNet:

"For the last few months I have been experimenting with Skype in particular for voice connections when I travel. During the last six weeks, all of my telephone calls--Skype-to-Skype, Skype-to-mobile and Skype-to-fixed line--have been via a headset and my laptop computer. I've connected to the internet via wired or Wi-Fi LANs in hotels, office buildings and restaurants.

In short: my mobile phone bill has plummeted from $500 a month to less than $10 a month. The number of times I have had to use my mobile phone in the US during the past two weeks can be counted on the fingers of one hand. For the most part it is people calling me on my mobile that dominates my usage. My outgoing calls are now few and far between. The prevalence of low-cost or free Wi-Fi across the US means I am at most paying for a local telephone call in the destination country."

No comments: